Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mile High Reiki...

Another great distance Reiki story today...

I have a very dear friend named Kim who lives near Denver CO. She and I have known each other in our "day jobs" for more years than I can remember, and we share a unique bond since our employing organization, which has more than half-a-million employees, only has TWO employees with our job title...myself in upstate NY and Kim in Colorado. Needless to say, we have a great deal of empathy for each other's day-to-day job challenges.

On a much more personal note, Kim and I share the understanding of what it's like to experience the death of a spouse, each of us having lived through the tragedy, and each of us being strong enough to fight our way back...and what a fight it is!

Kim was so compassionate and caring when I was struggling with my loss...she's one of those friends who you know will always be there, whatever you need, and I feel truly blessed to be able to count her among the special people that are a part of my life.

A few days ago, Kim sent me a work-related question by email. She wanted my opinion on a policy issue. We bounce stuff off each other frequently and this was not unusual, but I could tell from the tone of her email that something wasn't right. I began my response with: "Hi Kim...hope all is well." Then I addressed the business question.

In a matter of minutes she replied that she was struggling...her younger brother Danny had been visiting from Iowa and doing some contracting work on her house...roofing, siding, that sort of thing. While doing this, he experienced a serious leakage in his intestines, a very dangerous condition that can turn your entire system toxic quickly, resulting in death.

Besides being heartsick about her brother's condition, Kim was struggling with shuttling family to and from the airport, keeping the house for six adults, constant trips and shuttles to the hospital and the regular stuff that won't go away like watering the garden, mowing, pulling weeds, cooking, laundry, etc. And did I mention going to work? She was obviously stressed and fast approaching the end of her rope, but closed her message by saying: "...God is good and will provide. If I can get my brother back together and healthy again, nothing else matters...", adding a characteristic smiley icon at the end of her message. Kim is a poster-child for the impact of positive energy and attitude.

I didn't want to overwhelm Kim. We had never discussed Reiki before, and she had a lot on her plate, so I simply responded with the following: "What's your brother's full name and age? I am a Master Level Reiki Practitioner and Teacher and will send him healing universal energy. Sounds freaky if you're unfamiliar with it but Reiki works, and distance is not an issue. I can include his healing as an intention in my morning and evening prayers."

Now I had her attention...she replied that he was going into surgery that day at 6:30 my time and that she would appreciate anything I could do...adding how special he is to her. I could feel her anxiety jumping off my computer screen!

With only a couple of hours until Danny's surgery, I began to send distance Reiki in the traditional manner by visualizing his body on my right thigh, using the distance symbol, and treating his intestines while asking my God to allow Reiki to flow to ensure Danny's (and Kim's) safety and healing. I did this for about a half hour. At the time of the surgery, 6:30 PM my time, I was driving and repeated the process while in the car. Feeling the energy heat up my right palm and pulsate against my leg, I knew it was working. I didn't even have to ask Kim about the outcome. I already knew. Just for good measure, I added Danny's name, age and birth date to a paper of intentions I keep under my crystal grid which I use to focus my prayers every evening. Without going into detail...since I use it every morning and evening, the grid is so charged with Reiki energy now that it continuously sends Reiki to the intentions placed under it.

The next morning, I asked Kim anyway how Danny made out. Having more time, she now told me the whole story. Up until an hour before the surgery, when they were prepping Danny, the doctor maintained that his only option was major surgery, opening him up completely, and even that was risky without any guarantee of success since they were unsure of the cause of the leakage. Just before the surgery (and unknowingly after already receiving 30 minutes of distant cross-country Reiki), the surgeon decided to try a laparoscopic procedure, which would require just a 2-3" incision. And, of course, the procedure worked! They were able to remove the damaged part of his intestine and he is expected to be released in just a few days.

Now I certainly don't want anyone to believe that Reiki is the only thing which saved Danny...Reiki is a complementary therapy that provides a powerful and wonderful assist to the skilled practitioners of traditional medicine. But the next part of this story proves to me without a doubt that Reiki played a key role here...

After Kim told me Danny was doing fine now, she mentioned the following detail to me...remember...she and I had never discussed Reiki nor my interest in, and practice of, holistic healing techniques. She said: "Yesterday, I was trying to finish up some reports on the computer so I could leave to be with my brother, and God said your name..."Bob McGrath"...nothing else. And I knew I was supposed to contact you for help..."

The wonders of God's creation give me chills even as I write this!

In closing, this whole episode will help continue the wonderful resurgence of Reiki across the western world. Although Kim and I are 2,000 miles apart, we're now talking about how to get her trained. She may try to get up a group of students so my partner and I can go run a class in Denver, or she may come here for a visit and training...or she may find a local teacher from the ICRT on reiki.org…no matter how, I know Kim will soon joins the ranks of "Reiki people" and when she decides to do something...it gets done. And having her as a Reiki practitioner will definitely better our world!

Just for today...be grateful!

Bob McGrath
Master Practitioner/Teacher
Pathways to Harmony

No comments:

Post a Comment